Fumane


This whole area has been inhabited since prehistoric times, and a whole range of archaeological evidence (from the Paleolithic to the Bronze Age) has been unearthed here. The most significant site is the "Riparo Solinas" and Fumane was in Roman times also the site of the "Pagus" of the Arusnates people. Many ancient inscription found here are now in Verona's museo Maffeiano. The Molina Waterfall Park was inaugurated here in 1973 and in 1996 the Valpolicella and Lessinia Botanical Museum.

Must-see

  • The Solinas Refufe: this cavern is situated in Fumane's Progno Valley.
  • The "Pagus Arusnatium" - the Romans founded this "pagus" (equivalent of a district).
  • Villa della Torre, interesting 16th century veronese villa.
  • St. Martial: the church was renovated in the late 15th /early 16th century.
  • The Botanical Museum - a survey of Lessinia's and valpolicella's flora.

 

Solinas Refuge: this important archaeological site is situated in the Progno di Fumane Valley. The objects found here (flint tools, artefacts and even dwellings) bear witness to the rapid extinction (during the Paleolithic Era 35000 years ago) of Neanderthal Man and the rise of Modern Man. A landslide recently uncovered a section of primitive rock paintings in red ocre. Two of these paintings are of particular interest: one represent a four-footed animal, the other the figure of a man (probably a witch-doctor) wearing a ritual mask. Dating back to 32000 years ago, these paintings are the oldest of their kind in Europe, even older than the rock art of Lascaux and Altamira.

Pagus Arusnatium: The Arusnates, of Reto-etruscan stock (also influenced by the Celts and the Veneti) were present in Valpolicella even before the arrival of the Romans in the 1st century A.D. The "Pagus" which the Romans founded in the central/western section of Valpolicella, gave them official status, a people with its own political system, its own culture and even its own "pantheon" of gods before Roman colonisation.

St. Martial: rises on the site of a pre-existing 13th century building. It houses a splendid polyptich by Francesco Badile (1535), with wooden statues of St. John the Baptist, St. Martial and St. Anthony Abbot. The votive tablets in the presbytery (by Francesco Morone, 1510 - 1513) and the 16th century frescoes on the vault and lunettes are also worthy of note.



Useful Information

IAT Valpolicella

 

Our land

Wine, food & dreams

Winecellar Giovanni Ederle

Elegant residences and italian-style gardens.